Public Expression Guidelines
- Requests to Address the Board: The Board welcomes the opportunity for expression of public views on issues before the Board. A portion of its regular schedule of meetings is reserved for individuals who wish to address the Board. To accommodate such expression the Board shall reserve a portion of its regular meeting cycle for individuals who wish to address the Board. All persons wishing to speak must preregister by completing a Request to Address form and submit it to the Office of the Secretary of the Board of Trustees no later than 9:00 a.m. on the Wednesday preceding the meeting. The Secretary of the Board will review this request and notify the person making the request whether he/she may give public comment at such meeting.
- Time Allocation: The Board will allow up to thirty minutes for public comment per meeting. An individual speaker will be permitted up to three minutes for a presentation. This will be strictly adhered to with assistance of a timekeeper. Thus, a maximum of ten speakers will be scheduled for each Board meeting.
- Scheduling of Speakers: When the number of requests to address the Board of Trustees at a given session exceeds the time available, requests will be approved based on the date the written request was received by the Secretary of the Board. In addition, preference will be given to subject matters that relate to the agenda for the relevant Board meeting and to avoid repetitiveness.
- Time Period: The exact time of the public comment period will be set by the Chair of the Board, after consideration of the number of speakers and other matters on the Board’s agenda. All public comments will be recorded.
- Topics Permitted: The Board will not hear presentations that include, in whole or in part, the following topics: the employment status of any specific individual; statements concerning the private activities, lifestyles or beliefs of any specific individual employed by or associated with the University; or grievances relating to any individual student or employee. In addition, the Board will not entertain requests to participate in the public comment period by a party to any pending or threatened litigation or any administrative or other proceeding to which the University is a party, or by legal counsel for such party.
- Archiving of Remarks: Speakers who comply with the Board’s rules will have their remarks archived and made available on the Board’s website, with such posting to be made as soon as practicable. Remarks by speakers who do not comply with the Board’s rules will not be archived or made available on the Board’s website. The decision on whether a speaker has or has not complied with the Board’s rules will be made by the Chair of the Board, in consultation with the Secretary of the Board and the Chair of the Committee on Outreach, Development and Community Relations.
- Modifications: The Chair of the Board of Trustees shall have the authority to modify the provisions of this subsection (b) in his or her discretion to permit additional speakers, extend the public comment session and to make such other accommodations as may be necessary or advisable in his or her opinion to achieve the purposes of the public comment period.
- Important Dates: As soon as available (approximately 5 business days in advance of a regularly scheduled meeting), an agenda of items to be considered will be available for public review. The Request to Address form will be available at that same time. All persons wishing to speak must preregister by completing a Request to Address form and submitting it to the Office of the Secretary of the Board of Trustees no later than 9:00 a.m. on the Wednesday preceding the meeting. Deadlines will be posted in advance for each regularly scheduled meeting.
|Date of Meeting||Agenda List/
Request to Address Form Available
|Date Request Due in Board Office|
|Friday, May 3, 2019
Public Comment Period: TBA
|Friday, April 26, 2019||Wednesday, May 1, 2019; 9:00 a.m. EST|